Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Word update

Been a bad couple days, loves, but still pounding at wordcount.
1108 today on Dirty Toes.

I jerked and hitched, gasping for air after drowning in my own blood. The shots were just knocks on my door and the voice was still Paula's.

“Come on in, Ramirez,” I called, grabbing my clothes and dashing for the bathroom. “Make coffee or something while I get dressed. You have a plan yet?”

I came out to find coffee and a fast-food breakfast sitting on my desk. Ramirez was eating her own sandwich and doodling absently on a notepad. I gave the food a withering glare and reached for the coffee.

“No plan yet. Tornado or chemical spill is the best I can come up with.” She took a bite of her food. “A text came in for you.”

I shrugged. “I doubt those will work. My next plan is following the Hunt. And that's just about as stupid as it gets.” I checked my phone and smiled. We might just make it yet.

“Sometimes, stupid plans work?” She was trying her best to be hopeful and encouraging, but I could see the sinking look in her eyes.

“That damned wolf is going to laugh at me. But I don't see any options presenting themselves. It was do or die time, and I had a bad feeling it might be the last. My Sight was wonky, didn't work most of the time and never gave me more than two minutes of warning. But the same nightmare the whole of the last week would put even a normal human on alert.

Right on cue, my phone rang. “Admire here.”

“Morning, lass. Are you prepared for the festivities tonight?” Cian still sounded too smooth. I wondered if he would be riding with his kin. And I wondered what, or who, he would be hunting.

“Not even remotely. You riding?”

“I will ride with the Hunt, yes, and do what I can from inside it. Corin will shift and run with the hounds.”
Great. My two possible allies had just decided to infiltrate the enemy, if they weren't already compromised by the enemy. “Rodriguez and I are going to do some legwork. The best chance is not in stopping the Hunt, but in making sure their targets can't be reached.” I felt stupid as I said it, but it was all we had.

“If that's all you've got, Admire, do it.”

“So nice to have your blessing, but barring letting the Bitch Patrol use the Hunt for fireball practice, yeah, that's about it.”

Cian chuckled, that false thing again that played a glissando on my spine. “Until tonight, dear lady.”

I looked at Rodriguez. “You are so not going to like my idea.”

“I know you had Demarco call in every combat mage he could get on the line. The PM Squad is not happy. Combat mages are bad news.”

“They're our Patriot Guard. And I have a second ace up my sleeve.”

Rodriguez raised her eyebrow at me. “Really? Gonna clue me in?”

“Come on, you're going to help me.”

“We can still arrange for fireball practice. We need work on hitting moving targets.”

I grinned. I was starting to like her. She might be okay for this fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment