Thursday, June 5, 2014

Not as much as I had hoped, more than I expected

So I've been sick. As in really ill.

But tonight I was feeling better.
So, 1412 words on DJ
535 words on Terror.
Lots of work tomorrow, but hoping to get some writing in too
Total so far: 6118 words in 5 days. We can lick this thing!

I'm kind of skipping around and striking where the iron is hot on DJ

It was a ridiculous idea on the face of it. But it just might save more people. We spent the morning hitting toy stores and department stores. It was late in the season for what we wanted, which meant clearance prices, but scarce too.

Then we started on the churches. Most ministers and priests know more about the Nightside than they let on. I know of at least one priest who is a vampire. He just changes names and parishes about every ten years or so to avoid detection.

I went to see him first, and we got there right about noon. The secretary was loath to let us past the desk, even when Rodriguez flashed her badge. I nodded and grabbed the secretary's head, shoving her hair off her neck. “Yep, just what I thought.”

“He hasn't done anything wrong,” she protested.

“We didn't say he had. In fact, we need his help. Him, and a backpack watergun full of holy water if we can get both.”

She burst out laughing at the image, her fear gone. “I'll see if he's awake.”

“No need, Christine. I heard the commotion.” Father Carl stood in the door, tall, thin and pale. He'd been a good looking man and I understood he could still preach an amazing Saturday night sermon. “What do you require, officer?”

Rodriguez filled him in about the Wild Hunt and unbaptized children. He shook his head. “Protestants.” With a smile, he gestured into his office. We sat down and explained it all one more time.

“Since Holy Water doesn't affect Nightsiders, but it does legitimize the baptism, we were wondering if you would ride with us tonight in the counter-hunt,” I said, being very respectful. “And can you think of any of your colleagues, of any Christian denomination, who might do the same?”

He smiled again, his mouth shut. “I'll have a list. What sort of transportation are we talking about here?”

“We've made arrangements with the Bluesmen. But, padre, if it comes to combat and confrontation, you and the rest of the ministers are strictly noncombatant. You get off the bikes and get to safety, understood?”

“Understood, Ms. Admire.” He thought for a few minutes, and started writing on a notepad. “I can think of about ten who might do this. Catholic, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Presbyterian, the Fathers at Annunciation, St. Seraphim and St. George. Those last are Orthodox and may or may not go for the idea.”

I looked at the list. It was more like twenty names.  We were going to have to split up. “Thank you, Father. Be at the Bluesmen's garage at sunset, before if you can manage it. I could send a CM to pick you up.”

“I will not put myself in jeopardy to do good, I promise.” This time he smiled widely enough I saw teeth, but not fangs.

Outside, I stood and shook for a minute. Vampires have that effect on a lot of people. I tore the list in half. “You really can't ask this kind of thing over the phone.”




From Terror:
Charlie shook his head. They probably couldn't get a letter to America anyway. He'd write when he got back to England. “Do we have many more things to try?” he asked.

“Just the large one that Zimmer's been working on.”

“The large one Zimmer has completed!” The voice behind them sounded ridiculously triumphant. His hair frizzed a little and his eyes looked wild with glee. “It's up, it's running. We shall see how it does.”

The sled dogs set up a howl. One began and the rest took it up, the voices unearthly in the bleak coldness. The local guides walked among them, silencing them. Charlie looked at Edward.

“Who ordered the omens again?” he asked, trying to make it sound like a joke. Silently he added, Anubis, Lord of the Embalming Chamber, my work is not yet done. The brush of a wing on his face reassured him and Charlie calmed a bit.

“Just scented a fox or something,” Edward said. “I must say, Professor. The cold weather gear is brilliant as are the transport devices and weapons.”

“Trifles, trifles.” Zimmer seemed distracted and scribbled at notes of his own. Charlie stole a glance and saw he was noting the exact time of the dogs' upset. “We should retire early, gentlemen. The new machine must work overnight for us to see results.”

No comments:

Post a Comment